Smaller and more concentrated than Sorrento and Positano, Amalfi boasts one of the coast’s most distinctive monuments: the Amalfi Cathedral. I have been there by night time, and I can assure you that it conveys a very pictoresque atmosphere because of its grandeur and the play of lights and shadows.
Let’s see what’s not to be missed in Amalfi.
What to see in Amalfi
1. St. Andrew‘s Cathedral: known as the Duomo D’Amalfi, this medieval building dominates the surrounding square from the top of a magnificent staircase that further enhances its grandeur and beauty.
2. Restaurants in Piazza Duomo: I would recommend stopping here to enjoy one of the traditional Neapolitan dishes. Why not recharge your batteries with a delicious plate of Sorrento-style gnocchi? Or a taste of the famous buffalo mozzarella? Whichever you choose, or the length of your stop (just for a coffee or dinner with your travel buddy) you will not regret it! The suggestive location and the view of the Duomo will make your break a unique and unforgettable moment. I dined at the Sant’Andrea restaurant-pizzeria, which is located exactly at the foot of the steps, and it was a unique and enchanting experience.
3. Fountain of Sant’Andrea : it is located in the square exactly in front of the steps of the Cathedral. Of modest size, the magnificence of the cathedral sometimes goes unnoticed in front of it. In my opinion, worthy of a break and, why not, a photo.
4. Vicoli and Via Lorenzo d’Amalfi : if you have the time and desire to take a stroll in search of souvenirs, while savoring an ice cream or do some shopping, this is the right place to lose yourself among the local craft shops.
5. Lungomare dei cavalieri : it is one of the areas that I like the most in Amalfi. Especially if you go there in the evening, it will fascinate you with its illuminated trees, the restaurants overlooking the sea and the view of the bright coast which will remind you a nativity scene. The romantic atmosphere is king.
Save your itinerary in Amalfi!
Read also: A Weekend In The Amalfi Coast, to know all the details on how to get around and what to see!